I like these.
- Always the path of American destiny has been into the unknown. Always there arose enough reserves of strength, balances of sanity, portions of wisdom to carry the nation through to a fresh start with ever-renewing vitality.
- Nothing happens unless first a dream.
- Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air.
- Slang is a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands and goes to work.
- Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud.
- When a nation goes down, or a society perishes, one condition may always be found; they forgot where they came from. They lost sight of what had brought them along.
Carl Sandburg, 1878 – 1967